COST SAVING TIPS
COST SAVING TIPS
10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Quality Auto & Diesel Repair, Inc. in Key West
These guys are awesome. Sent my 2013 pathfinder to them to replace the alternator( first time i have ever had someone else work on my vehicles) and they did it cheaper than anywhere around. They do high quality work and have high quality employees. They are very helpful and able to find parts quickly that are hard to get. This car rides my family of 5 to north florida and back and glad I know they will be safe. Thanks guys for taking care of it while I was underway.
We had to replace a tire due to a nail. Luanne was very helpful in getting us the exact tire we needed delivered in a day. After trying to get the tire from another shop and them ordering the wrong tire, and being rude to us, this was a nice change of pace. The guys were able to put the tire on right away. Great place to do business and we'll be back is we need any tire or auto repairs.
Good and friendly service, quick turnover. We are traveling (so out of our home territory) and our Ford F350 Diesel needed an oil and filter change. I called and was told to come on in. Jaime was knowledgable and gave me a good overview of what my diesel needed and why. We are very pleased. (There are also some places near to shop at or eat if you need to wait and kill some time).